1. He walked out of the exam as pleased as punch, confident that he'd gotten at least an A
As, At, An
2. He walked out of the exam as pleased as punch, confident that he'd gotten at least an A
As, At, An
3. What's the origin of the phrase 'As pleased as Punch'? 'As pleased as Punch' derives from the puppet character Mr
4. As pleased as Punch is an idiom from the late 1700s that is still used today
5. We will examine the meaning of as pleased as Punch, where the phrase comes from and some examples of its use in sentences.
6. Synonyms for as pleased as Punch include in seventh heaven, delighted, ecstatic, elated, euphoric, overjoyed, thrilled, delirious, exultant and jubilant
7. As Pleased As Punch synonyms - 380 Words and Phrases for As Pleased As Punch
8. Definition: Very happy with something He's as pleased as punch with the new boss
9. as pleased as Punch synonyms, as pleased as Punch pronunciation, as pleased as Punch translation, English dictionary definition of as pleased as Punch
10. From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English as pleased as punch as pleased as punch HAPPY old-fashioned very happy He’s as pleased as punch about the baby
11. → punch Examples from the Corpus as pleased as punch • He was a strong, healthy lad and as pleased as punch to be working with Dad.
12. / As pleased as Punch, I’d hold it in my gripe.” The earliest citation for “proud as Punch” is in the Dickens novel David Copperfield (1850): “I am as proud as Punch to think that I once had the honor of being connected with your family.” All of the OED’s 19th-century references cap the “P” in “Punch.”
As, Am, All
13. as pleased as punch in a sentence - Use as pleased as punch in a sentence and its meaning 1
14. I've had two dozen calls from guys who are as pleased as punch ." 2
15. My mum would be as pleased as punch if I actually went, but my dad seems a bit more particular about it.: Mr
As, Actually, About
16. Sock was always as pleased as punch with puns.: The deputy PM, who was on the election trail in Scotland, looked pleased as punch over the playful tap from seven-month-old Coll.: The signs of success were legion: brilliant speakers, participants bowled over by the …
17. ‘Van der Merwe was as pleased as Punch following last Saturday's win, making the wry remark his team had scored more tries in one game than the entire season.’ ‘And then there's Max, looking as pleased as Punch in a photograph of the 1943 prefects.’
18. What's the origin of the phrase 'as pleased as Punch'? Q From Rab Spence, UK: I am curious as to the origin of the phrase as pleased as Punch.It has been suggested to me that it must come from the puppet in Punch and Judy, but I am not entirely happy with this explanation, as no one can tell me why it should have originated there.
As, Am, And
19. Synonyms for as pleased as punch in English including definitions, and related words.
20. Translation for 'as pleased as Punch' in the free English-French dictionary and many other French translations
21. 'My Mum Would Be as Pleased as Punch If I Actually Went, but My Dad Seems a Bit More Particular about It': Paternal Involvement in Young People's Higher Education Choices Author(s): Rachel Brooks Source: British Educational Research Journal, Vol
As, Actually, About,
22. He walked out of the exam as pleased as punch, confident that he'd gotten at least an A
As, At, An
23. as pleased as punch translation in English - German Reverso dictionary, see also 'please',plead',pleated',Pleiades', examples, definition, conjugation
24. 'My Mum Would Be as Pleased as Punch if I Actually Went, but My Dad Seems a Bit More Particular about It': Paternal Involvement in Young People's Higher Education Choices
As, Actually, About
25. Happy, glad, delighted, gratified, grateful, thankful, content, contented, satisfied, well pleased, thrilled, elated, as pleased as Punch, overjoyed, cock-a-hoop
26. James is as pleased as punch to be the Attending Vet at the Darrowby Show, but Siegfried and Tristan take bets on how long he will last.
As, Attending, At, And
27. The Libertines are as pleased as punch to head out on a Christmas jaunt, their first tour in two years
28. Estar como un niño con zapatos nuevos to be as pleased as punch
29. He was as pleased as Punch estaba encantado de la vida.
AS PLEASED AS PUNCH [as pleased as Punch]
If someone is as pleased as punch about something, they are very pleased about it. He's obviously as pleased as punch about buying this timber firm. Branfoot announced he was as pleased as punch with his team's performance. Note: `Punch' is a character from traditional `Punch and Judy' puppet shows, who enjoys making trouble for people.
Delighted, as in We were pleased as Punch when they asked us to be god-parents. This term alludes to the character Punch in Punch and Judy shows, who is always very happy when his evil deeds succeed. pleased as punch. If someone is as pleased as punch about something, they are very pleased about it.
David Copperfield, 1850: I am as proud as Punch to think that I once had the honour of being connected with your family. Hard Times, 1854: When Sissy got into the school here her father was as pleased as Punch. See other ' as x as y ' similes.